...bailey's story...


Our story is a story about a MIRACLE. It is not the kind of miracle that is so often shared in Christian circles. We have heard stories about untreatable cancer that disappeared and of a child that was never supposed to walk or talk and is now a healthy adult. These are often the kinds of stories people share with you when you are experiencing difficult circumstances. Stories about the TRAGEDY that was avoided or the near miss that is now in the rear view mirror of life. We value these types of stories and we CELEBRATE them!

Ours was not that kind of story. Our daughter Bailey Hope was born on February 20, 2009. She died on August 13, 2010. The eighteen months in between were horrible and heart wrenching as we experienced our worst fears coming true. We were not rescued FROM heartache and tragedy.

Our miracle was that we were joined IN this journey by friends and family that gave of themselves and by our GOD who held us in unexplainable ways. This is our story. We do not share it to garner pity. There are others who have similar stories. There are so many others who have more tragic stories.

We share our story because it is impossible to talk about our beautiful daughter, without talking about our beautiful God. We must talk about our daughter. We must talk about our God. It is the MIRACLE behind the MIRACLE.





Monday 9 August 2010

Heaven Stands

Today was an extremely difficult day for us.  Bailey hasn't eaten for about 20 days and our hospice nurse shared that Bailey's lungs are completely full of fluid.  While we know she is dying it's beyond difficult to watch it and hear it, day in and day out.  As I sat there holding our beautiful daughter and crying, the song, "Your Hands" came to my mind.

.....when my world is shaking.....Heaven stands.
.....when my heart is breaking.....I never leave your hands. 

Gods hands literally shook my world two weeks ago.  It was the Thursday night after Bailey stopped eating, she had a very difficult day and we felt as though God was going to take her home.  That night their was the most incredible thunder storm.   I laid on our living room floor holding Bailey's hand, watching the lightning bolts streak across the sky, and feeling the thunder shake our house.  God clearly reminded me of how GREAT and powerful He is.  Heather, I command the earth, I am bigger than death, I win.

What a comfort to know that when our world is shaking, heaven stands.  When our hearts are breaking, we never leave his hands

20 comments:

  1. Praying, praying, praying for you. You are in my thoughts both day and night(literally). When I'm up in the night feeding Owen I'm praying for you. Even when most people are asleep, know that you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Open your doors heaven and let Bailey in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I continue to pray for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful to know that as you hold Bailey's hand, He is holding yours. As we grieve with you, we are also so proud of who you are and the faith and character you have shown. God's love and adoration for each one in your family is so vast.

    I join you in looking forward to the day we can sing praises and dance in heaven with all of our loved ones.

    I pray for more moments of God's nearness and power. I am sorry my friends and send all my love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart aches for you. I think of you often and pray that He heals as He holds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping your family in my prayers that God give you strength to make it though these tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear friends -
    I wish we could all be there with you - holding your hand - while you wait, while you cry. So much love is pouring your way. May you continue to feel His strength and love, and ours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we love you so much and our hearts are completely broken for you and we are grieving daily with you.... you are not alone. sending all of our love to you, pouring out all of our prayers for you and spilling all of our tears for you. love you.

    ben + mindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sit here, tears streaming down my face not knowing exactly what to say. My heart aches for you and Matt and the other children. I pray you may find peace and strength in these last difficult days. God is bigger than death and he gives us the Promise that we will all be together again!!! We love you!!

    Brian & Heather
    Autumn & Mikayla
    Rush

    ReplyDelete
  10. heather and matt-
    you may not realize it, but you are encouraging others as you go through this journey. every time i read your blog, your words fill me with truth and light of who our Everlasting God is. i pray your joy always be present. please, know, you are not alone. you are surrounded by prayer warriors lifting you up and asking for continuted peace and strength. our hearts are broken for you!
    kim and chris pleune

    ReplyDelete
  11. Matt & Heather, no words, just prayers. Bailey, I love you sweet angel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our family is praying daily for yours. Your strength and faith is an inspiration to us. What a comfort it is to know that God is holding your hand through this valley.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are in our prayers. Our hearts hurt for you and pray Bailey will be welcomed into heaven soon. Mandy DeVries

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read through your whole blog today
    ...I have nothing to say that fits...nothing that says what I want it too...

    Prayers are over-flowing in Heaven for you. God has beaten death...he really does win. And to your dear sweet Bailey...sweetie, you take God's breath away...and his hugs last an eternity. Mommy and Daddy will be here now, and see you later on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. praying the Almighty arms of our Father hold you tight tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's a peace I've bome to know
    Though my heart and flesh may fail
    There's an anchor for my soul
    I can say, "It is well"

    Jesus has overcome
    And the grave is overwhelmed
    The victory is won
    He is risen from the dead

    And I will rise when He calls my name
    No more sorrow, no more pain
    I will rise on eagles' wings
    Before my God fall on my knees
    And rise
    I will rise.

    God has His arms wrapped tightly around your whole family, I pray that you find peace and strength!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Matt and Heather,
    I heard this song for the first time today in the car, and I just started crying, thinking of Bailey. i wanted to share parts of it with you, because it feels so fitting. It's not so much a sad song, but kind of makes me look at death a little bit differently. I did edit some of the lyrics out because some of them just weren't appropriate for Bailey's age, but I love this song. I hope that you enjoy the words of it.

    If I die young- The Band Perry

    If I die young bury me in satin
    Lay me down on a bed of roses
    Sink me in the river at dawn
    Send me away with the words of a love song

    Lord make me a rainbow, I’ll shine down on my mother
    She'll know I’m safe with you when she stands under my colors, oh and
    Life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no
    Ain't even grey, but she buries her baby

    The sharp knife of a short life, well
    I’ve had just enough time

    If I die young bury me in satin
    Lay me down on a bed of roses
    Sink me in the river at dawn
    Send me away with the words of a love song

    The sharp knife of a short life, well
    I’ve had just enough time

    And I’ll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom
    I’m as green as the ring on my little cold finger

    So put on your best boys and I’ll wear my pearls
    What I never did is done

    If I die young bury me in satin
    Lay me down on a bed of roses
    Sink me in the river at dawn
    Send me away with the words of a love song

    The ballad of a dove
    Go with peace and love
    Gather up your tears, keep ‘em in your pocket
    Save them for a time when your really gonna need 'em

    The sharp knife of a short life, well
    I’ve had just enough time

    Sweet sweet Bailey, it's time. Get your wings and fly to heaven. God is waiting.

    ReplyDelete