...bailey's story...


Our story is a story about a MIRACLE. It is not the kind of miracle that is so often shared in Christian circles. We have heard stories about untreatable cancer that disappeared and of a child that was never supposed to walk or talk and is now a healthy adult. These are often the kinds of stories people share with you when you are experiencing difficult circumstances. Stories about the TRAGEDY that was avoided or the near miss that is now in the rear view mirror of life. We value these types of stories and we CELEBRATE them!

Ours was not that kind of story. Our daughter Bailey Hope was born on February 20, 2009. She died on August 13, 2010. The eighteen months in between were horrible and heart wrenching as we experienced our worst fears coming true. We were not rescued FROM heartache and tragedy.

Our miracle was that we were joined IN this journey by friends and family that gave of themselves and by our GOD who held us in unexplainable ways. This is our story. We do not share it to garner pity. There are others who have similar stories. There are so many others who have more tragic stories.

We share our story because it is impossible to talk about our beautiful daughter, without talking about our beautiful God. We must talk about our daughter. We must talk about our God. It is the MIRACLE behind the MIRACLE.





Monday 29 March 2010

How are you? ........ How is Bailey?

Two simple questions but the answer is anything but simple. Against all the odds we are still able to hold our precious Bailey. While we cherish every moment we have with her, it is indescribeably painful to have watched her suffer for the last year. Matt and I long for the day when Bailey will be free from all pain, but we also grieve knowing that the day she is free, the day she dances with Jesus (what her big sister McKenzie says) ...is the day that we will no longer see her face, hold her, bathe her, watch McKenzie, Carter, and Lexi love on her and kiss her.

So you ask.....how are you? I am breathing. I love what my husband wrote the day after we found out about Bailey's diagnosis, "God is good, not in a cliche way but in a way that allows you to take the next breath."

How is Bailey? she is struggling to breathe. We are still signed on with Hospice and continue to use several different pain medications as well as oxygen to keep her as comfortable as possible.

We continue to be amazed at the out-pouring of love we have recieved from so many people, and in so many ways. Thank - you is truly inadequate.

10 comments:

  1. Dayna and I talk about you most every day: the challenges you face, the challenges of faith.

    We love you.

    We love you.

    We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Heather! And your sweet family. You are never far from my mind and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shared your story today - your incredible faith and the amazing testimony you give about His love - with a friend. I also shared how incredibly strong you were for me when we were facing issues with our little one. She was visibly moved. Thank you for being who you are.

    (from a friend's blog...)
    The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. Hebrews 11:1 MSG version

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is with you all. I wish so much that I could be of more help but I continue to lift you all up in my prayers. Bailey is truly an amazing little individual, the lives she has touched and changed without uttering a word is indescribable. To look at her face is a glimpse of pure love. Love to all, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our prayers are still with you and your family! There are no words that seem enough to write to your family. My son Jared is 7 and everyday during prayer we pray for your family.
    In Christ
    Cathy Wiltheiss

    ReplyDelete
  6. On Sunday, at the closing of our easter service, we sang a hymn that made me think of you. It was one that i knew and was familar with, but hadn't thought of too often. When we got to the second verse, it was like there was a picture of Bailey on the screen next to these lyrics. I wanted to share them with you because I hope that it brings some encouragement to you. i know that I had the immediate realization that everything was in God's hands. I know this is true, and something that you often say, but it didn't fully hit me until I sang these words.

    Because he Lives- William J. Gaither
    "how sweet to hold a newborn baby,
    and feel the pride and joy he gives;
    but greater still the calm assurance:
    this child can face uncertain days because he lives."
    in all my thoughts and prayers-
    calli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi sweetie.
    Another week has passed. Another week of breathing.
    Thinking of you and loving you daily.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. endlessly thinking and praying for you friend.
    just added your song...so many thoughts of you come to my mind when i hear it. may His hands feel large and safe and calming to you.
    much love,
    jaren

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the new song. Beautiful.

    "when my heart is breaking - i never leave your hands..."

    my theme. my mantra.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey sweet momma -
    Thinking of you this weekend and praying for a spectacular mother's day!

    ReplyDelete